Saturday, June 28, 2008

Learning

Well, I now have more free time.
The people at work figured out that, despite being a fine writer, good looking, charming, etc, etc, I'm not terribly good at writing health and safety news. Also my massive lack of determination, motivation and the other one (perspiration?), meant I'm now looking for a new job.

Well, among other things of course.

I have been dog-sitting, which involves a great deal of sitting around in Newark. But I have been doing lots of learning, as I tend to in this sort of situation.

I have learnt what Dulche de Leche is. I found the recipe in a cookbook (literally stick a tin of condensed milk in boiling water for three hours) this recipe then goes on for half a page with warnings about the dangers of following the recipe. You see heating a sealed can wrong would make it explode. Opening a heated can would cause it to explode. It was the warnings that got me interested. Also I didn't know what it is so I gave it a shot. This required constant monitoring of the can for three hours as it clunks and rattles in a pot of boiling water - very exciting and probably not as dangerous as it felt. Turns out it's like caramel spread. Quite nice.

Also while sitting around in Newark I got a snazzy new hair cut (the old one had lost its pizazz) and at the same time visited the opticians, where I learnt another valuable lesson. Never watch a lot of Angel (or any Vampire programme) just before visiting an opticians. Having someone lean in that close was extremely uncomfortable as I was sure that the bloke was preparing to bite me. Also, I learnt that Leamington Spa is so much classier than Newark (Specsavers-wise at least) Leamington: Nice location, fancy machines, pleasant folks.
Newark: The thing is in Morrisions, the tech is very low, and the contact lens bloke turned my eyelids inside out on purpose! (What the hell?!)

Lots of TV watching besides Angel; Pride and Prejudice, The Office mostly. But did you know:
That the first of Disney's High School Musicals used 20 shades of lip gloss? Me neither! But more amazing is that the second one used twice as many! 40! Gee-whizz, that sure is a lot. I was so amazed, that I began seriously looking for something better to do with my life.

Suggestions welcome.

No comments: