Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Blogging for work: The Prequel

So I'm blogging again. Professionally. As part of my job. My boss told me to think of it as like a commission, but there's a chance he was trying to convince me to do something he didn't think I'd want to.

Fortnightly: It means every two weeksThis, in case you hadn't guessed, is not the real blog; that goes out fortnightly, but probably the other fortnight to this one. Or the alternate. I'm not to clear on the terminology, but I do like the word fortnight because it confuses our American colleagues. The plan in my head is one week of not for profit bloggage and then one week of problogging, in some kind of fresh keeping method. I'll see how that goes.

The logic behind this that I've been told to put some personality into our social networking site for chromatographers; the thing that worries me is that that means these guys are going to be getting my personality. These are people that our company feels the need to tell that if they want to get "fun" with their profile picture they could perhaps use a pet photo; and I would be happy to write Alice in Wonderland every other week and list all the unusual sounds I've heard that day.

So my new blog is going to be about science. And I guess science related things, things of interest to people with potentially serious minds. Technically it should be about chromatography and chromatography related things, but there's a good chance that would become a fortnightly bitch about how nothing interesting ever seems to happen in the world of chromatography. (This isn't actually that true, my job also features news writing on the subject and I have managed to cover sharks, dinosaurs and mummies, but it hasn't been easy).

Then again... I may listen to this over and over and write about spaceships, and movies, and TV, and monsters, and my dreams (you've missed graveyards; ash; playing cards covered in blood; me as Homer Simpson; Tron; and people pixelating and merging their faces in a seriously creepy fashion). Did you know they're making a wiimote that looks like a sonic screwdriver? There's a good chance that's going in there. Oh and stuff like this.

Yay, for dashing about and being marvellous!

No comments: